Drinking too much alcohol can kill you. However, there are plenty of warning signs before it gets to that point. Are you aware of the most common alcohol poisoning symptoms? Most importantly, what should you do if you recently survived an incident?
How Alcohol Poisoning Happens
Alcohol poisoning symptoms occurring due to accidental ingestion are rare. These situations may happen to children or the elderly. For many people, alcohol poisoning occurs because they imbibe too many drinks. Yet, no matter how it happened, this condition is a potentially life-threatening emergency that requires medical intervention.
Common Alcohol Poisoning Symptoms
You’re binge drinking alcohol. Maybe you’re out with friends or drinking by yourself at home. No matter the reason, binge-drinking is an activity that rapidly increases your blood alcohol levels in about two hours. Rather than stopping when you’re drunk, you keep ingesting more alcohol.
During alcohol poisoning, your liver can no longer metabolize the alcohol that you introduce into your system. As a result, more alcohol enters the bloodstream. Even though you’re feeling the effects of the drug, you keep drinking. It’s possible to show signs of alcohol poisoning and have the condition worsen even after you stop drinking.
Overindulgence in alcohol consumption results in dangerous dehydration. This affects your blood pressure and results in an erratic heartbeat. Depending on your overall health, your heart may stop. Your body temperature also plummets.
Next, you may develop seizures because blood sugar levels are too low. It’s possible for your brain to suffer permanent damage. Your body desperately attempts to purge the substance, which results in vomiting. However, because the drug affects the gag reflex, you may choke or inhale the vomit rather than expel it.
Someone who’s with you needs to call for medical assistance. Trying to feed you coffee or walk you around won’t help. In some cases, it can make alcohol poisoning symptoms worse. At a hospital, medical personnel will stabilize you and most likely pump your stomach.
After an Alcohol Poisoning Event
Consider surviving alcohol poisoning a wakeup call. Your alcohol consumption is out of control and might kill you. Most importantly, it may point to a more substantial use disorder that calls for professional intervention. Residential treatment is always a good option after you experience alcohol poisoning symptoms.
At a facility, interventions include:
- Drug detox that helps you break the physical hold the substance has on you
- Seamless transitioning to rehab, which eliminates the danger of an instant relapse
- Evidence-based therapeutic interventions that focus on behavioral treatments and coping skills development
- Nutrition therapy as a way to return to a healthy lifestyle after graduating from the program
- Experiential therapies such as music or exercise to boost your overall wellbeing
Don’t just forget about the dangerous and painful alcohol poisoning symptoms that caused you so much discomfort. Rather, seek out professional alcohol addiction treatment with addiction specialists who tailor a treatment protocol to your needs. At Melrose Recovery Group, therapists routinely work with people just like you. Change your life today and contact Melrose Recovery Group at 866-271-3438 now.